Saturday, March 29, 2008

Computer changes

Lots of chanages going on in our computers here. I've bought a new MacBook Pro so I could work with the full set of computer graphics shaders for my textbook project, and I've instilled Windows Vista on it as well using Boot Camp. It seems to work pretty well, and I can use Mike Bailey's glman application on the Windows side and access geometry shaders. Of course, the machine has some new bells and whistles, including an onboard camera, so in the true "new toy" sense that had every new Macintosh user in 1984 using the San Francisco font, below is a photo of myself with one of the built-in Photo Booth special effects. Yes, Virginia, it is more than a toy, but old boys can still enjoy the toys...
Most of the changes involve repairs, though. Judy's PC has been in the shop for a successful disk transplant and memory upgrade (boy, what I'd pay to get one of those upgrades for myself!) and my older Mac is in the shop for a fix on the display. And Rick's machine is down, but he was able to get most of his files off it and now we're trying to figure out if the disk is fatally broken. But that's life with machines, I guess. And a big tip o' the hat to Julie Gorman, the Stanislaus computer science sysadmin, who's been a great help in consulting with us on Rick's system and has continued helping me in many ways after I retired.

No comments: