Monday, January 28, 2008

Happy Birthday, Wolfgang Amadeus!


Yesterday, Sunday, January 27, was Mozart's 252nd birthday. I hope everyone celebrated it in some appropriate way. We've been in Washington for the weekend after my NSF panels, and we went to a chamber music concert at the Kennedy Center that had two pieces by Mozart on the program. (There were also two pieces by Stravinsky, but it isn't his birthday.)

We went to the concert with my longtime friend, Tim Fossum. Tim's doing a rotator year at NSF in the same area I did, and it was great to spend the day with him on Saturday, visiting the National Building Museum and the National Gallery and then going to a movie in the evening. I think that contributing to the NSF review process and seeing really good ideas is only half the value of doing panels; the other half is getting to Washington to see the city. And the third half is meeting new people and seeing old friends on panels.

No comments: