Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Music we remember

On a long flight recently I heard some music that took me back to my younger days. We all have those pieces or songs, of course, and they differ by generation and by kinds of music we prefer. Mine were on the classical music channel on the plane, of course, though the channel was a "pops" channel (*sigh*)

Three of the pieces brought back memories for me. One was a movement of the Schubert 5th Symphony, one of only two classical 78s that my parents had. I cut my musical teeth on that one, I suppose. One was from a radio/TV show I recall; it's the Dona Deana Overture by Resnicek that I first knew as the theme music from Seargent Preston of the Yukon. And the third was the Warsaw Concerto from one of the 1940s "Disturbed Composer writes his Concerto" movies. I don't know what this collection says about me, but I leave you to draw your own conclusions!

No comments: